Position: ASSISTANT ADMINISTRATOR - Ironwood Place
Nature of position:
Permanent Full Time
37.5 hours per week, Monday-Friday
This is an exciting opportunity to join Ironwood Place as an Assistant Administrator.
Reporting directly to the site Administrator, the Assistant Administrator is responsible for all aspects of Ironwood Place administration support. Including deputizing for the site Administrator, this position contributes to the effective functioning of Ironwood Place by balancing operational / day-to-day allocation and management of staff, alongside being the first point of contact for residents, as well as varied levels of administrative duties.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Assigns work, provides coaching and direction to staff, ensuring that assigned tasks are completed.
• Schedules staff to ensure effective and appropriate coverage.
• Deals with day-to-day queries, or issues with staff. Establishes work schedules, manages staff workload, training, and development of new and existing staff.
• Establishes work procedures and standards (in line with policies) to improve efficiency, service, and effectiveness of assigned duties of staff.
• Responsible for ensuring compliance with above procedures and standards, and reviewing, evaluating, and correcting the work performance of staff. Maintaining records and confidentiality of such corrections.
• Monitors, guides, and coaches’ staff on their performance. Provides feedback and conducts performance evaluations.
• Makes recommendations for action including recommending training opportunities, letters of expectation and corrective action (including written warnings and other disciplinary action).
• Deputizes for Administrator as a member of the organization’s leadership team, involvement in long range and strategic plans for Ironwood Pl. where required
• Tracks office or program expenditures, alerting the Administrator to budgetary spend concerns. Is familiar with Ironwood Pl budgets to ensure on track.
• Takes part in the recruitment and selection of staff, by following society procedures, in conjunction with the Administrator, or Human Resources Director, reference checking and providing input on selection.
• Is a point of contact for prospective employers for former or current employees and will provide employment references and letters confirming employment, in line with HR policies.
• Evaluates, develops, and implements office procedures and practices to ensure the smooth running of Ironwood Place operations. Ensures that approved office policies, practices and procedures are understood and followed by staff.
• Completes requests by greeting the public, in person or on the telephone, answering or referring inquiries to the most appropriate staff members. Responds to outside inquiries about services offered by the society.
• Prepares and sends outgoing faxes, mail, and courier parcels. Sorts incoming mail, faxes, and courier deliveries for distribution.
• Arranges confidential meetings, schedules confidential appointments, and makes travel arrangements, books rooms for meetings (this could include for clients, staff, management and the board) etc.
• Administers and maintains confidential resident, and program information/ database in line with policy.
• Runs reports using client information database and based upon reports, determines when steps should be taken to address related employment issues including making recommendations for action including recommendations for training opportunities, letters of expectation and corrective action (including written warnings and other disciplinary action).
• Produces various reports from databases as required by relevant team members, or the Administrator. Able to identify and organize the required information by compiling data, designing the format, and issuing the relevant reports in a timely manner, and relevant to the target audience.
• Maintains office and cleaning supplies inventory by checking stock to determine inventory level; anticipating needed supplies; placing and expediting orders for supplies; verifying receipt of supplies.
• Coordinates the maintenance of all office equipment.
• Ensures Administrator / Assistant Administrator availability, deputizing for Administrator in their absence. Having knowledge and expertise in senior’s assisted living whilst demonstrating established relationships and contacts with fellow agencies without which the operation could not exist (eg VIHA).
• Deputizing may include (but not limited to):
* Ensures effective service delivery consistent with agency mandate and policy, legal, contractual, budgetary, and other requirements.
* Attending management/leadership, relevant external funder/associated agencies/ partner meetings.
* Deal with sensitive, confidential, and immediate labour relations issues (including suspension, discipline etc).
* The overseeing of site purchases in line with relevant budgets, maintaining relationships with external vendors, including site asset contracts / service / maintenance.
* Participation/ leadership of various internal committees, working groups, associations etc.
* Maintaining professional relationships with associated funder/agencies/ partners.
* Dealing with highly sensitive client occurrences (eg hospital admittances, serious illness/injury, death etc) and subsequent family liaison, and any such legal reporting requirements.
• Distributes and tracks Ironwood Place building keys and security codes.
• Processes payments for residents and employees.
• Performs all other tasks required for the smooth and efficient running of Ironwood Place.
Rate of pay: $58,000 Per Annum + benefits
Location: Ironwood Place
• Must have a clear criminal record check through the Ministry of Justice
• Negative Tuberculin test
• Double vaccinated against Covid-19 (as per PHO)
Qualifications / Knowledge / Skills:
The following qualifications are preferred, or an equivalent combination of training and experience may be accepted.
• Previous Management, Supervisory or Senior Office administrator experience.
• Experience in a seniors’ facility. Knowledge of VIHA an asset.
• Post-secondary education in business, or office management is an asset.
• Demonstrates integrity as a leader, acts as a role model.
• Must possess the personal qualities and attitudes as expected under the four pillars of Respect – Belonging – Fairness – Inclusion.
• Strong oral and written communication skills.
• The ability to work as a productive and interactive team member, and leader.
• Good organization and exceptional time management skills.
• Must be able to complete tasks with competing priorities and deadlines.
• The ability to work without direct supervision.
• Proven sound decision maker, with strong problem-solving skills.
• The ability to act in an appropriate and professional manner at all times.
• Ability to work within time sensitive deadlines.
• The ability to deal with confidential and sensitive information, situations, and circumstances in a calm manner.
• Proficiency in Microsoft Office programs. Good keyboarding skills.
• Proficiency operating computers, voice messaging systems, fax machines and photocopiers.
Union Status: Exempt
Own Vehicle Requirements: None
Posting Date: Thursday, January 26th, 2023
Closing Date: Friday, February 3rd, 2023 - 12:00 pm
Start Date: asap
Campbell River and District Association for Community Living subscribes to the Human Rights Code of Canada and practices fair hiring. This position is open to all applicants and requires union membership.